Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Fiery First Trimester...

To all would-be-mothers and pregnant ladies out there, first of all my hearty congratulations to you!! Welcome to the mommy state of being :D Here are a few of my personal experiences as I recall from my first trimester.
Once I had my pregnancy confirmed I consulted my gynecologist and tested my routine check ups of blood and urine, started my prenatal folic acid.
I was already about 6 weeks into my pregnancy by this time.
A couple of weeks later I developed strong nausea.. Initially it was only nausea and a lot of gassy feeling. But as time went by I started my share of throwing up. Phew!! I puked my guts out literally. The pregnancy hormones causing havoc with my cravings added to my already pukish tummy.
I also felt extremely sleepy all the time. I could easily doze off anywhere anytime!! The drill our bodies go through in preparation for a home to it babies is just worth a bow. No wonder we are exhausted!!
And how can I not mention the need to pee!! I sometimes wonder if my bladder was ever empty!??! And I also developed an aversion to water. One sip of water could make me throw up my intestines.
Let's not even get started on constipation during the first trimester...sigh!! 
And very importantly try to be as careful as possible. Avoid jerky rides or anything adventurous.
I strongly believe better safe than sorry!
(PS: There is a follow-up post on how to handle all the above problems!)

Now for the good part, get ready to be pampered from everyone - .your partner, family, friends(if you have broken the news yet) People will be eager to help you out or cater to your cravings :D
Most important of all, you will go through your first scan!! Yaaay!! The first time i heard the heart beat of my sonny, I was in tears. Believe me there is no experience like it. It feels ethereal. A very humbling experience!! Something you should definitely look forward to.
And this is the time to INDULGE!! Just don't worry too much about your weight gain et al. Just eat anything as long as you can stomach it.
There's an entire lifetime to lose weight but your pregnancy is a once in a lifetime experience. Feel blessed that despite all this discomfiture you are one of the lucky few in this world to be pregnant. In today's time and age where infertility is as common as cold, we should all feel humbled to be gifted with a baby. I personally believe having an off-spring is something innate to all living beings. We prepare ourselves from birth for this stage in our lives when we can think beyond ourselves and our happiness for a little one. Somehow miraculously our outlook towards everything changes in an instant and we subconsciously protect our little one even before it arrives. Truly a divine experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment